Membership & professional
As Ghana’s professional body for Medical Physicists, we provide you with relevant networking opportunities, support you as an individual throughout your career through our services and membership benefits, and support your organization through our tailored initiatives.
On these pages you can find more information as well as ways to get involved, how to become a member and help in managing your membership online.
Our members make us what we are – vibrant professionals advancing excellence in medical physics.
We represent and support our members, bringing together medical physicsits from all over the country.
Which membership category is right for me?
The type of membership you should apply for depends on your engagement with the medical physics.
- Professional Member – membership in this class will be limited to a person resident in Ghana who are qualified by academic training and relevant Clinical experience, as defined in the Code of Ethics of the GSMP, to practice as Professional Medical Physicist in Ghana.
- Participating Member – this class of membership shall be open to associated professionals and persons who, because of their academic qualifications and work involvement are considered qualified to make a contribution to Medical Physics.
- Corresponding Member – this class of membership shall be made available to persons who are qualified in all respects for professional membership and are residing and practicing Medical Physics in other countries. Entrance to this class of membership shall be by invitation of the Society or by nomination of two of its members.
- An Affiliate should be a person who is capable of and interested in rendering service to the field of Medical Physics; and whose work should be so related to applications of Medical Physics that admission to this grade will contribute to the welfare of the Society.
- Intern / National Service Member shall be a person who has completed a degree program, and is undertaking national service or internship duties.
- Student Member
- Doctoral Student Member shall be doctoral students who have completed all requirements for that degree may be inducted without restriction.
- Graduate Student Member shall be a candidate for masters degrees whose academic rank is high may be inducted following completion of at least 50 percent of their degree program.
- Baccalaureate Student Member shall be a student regularly enrolled and working towards a degree in an approved Medical Physics curriculum, or towards an Medical Physics degree in a regionally accredited institution.
Subscription rates 2017
Registration for membership to Ghana Society for Medical Physics is by application. The Registration must be done online.
|Honorary / Professional Members:||100|
|Intern / NSS/ Student Members:||50|
Whichever stage of your career you are at, you’ll have decisions to make about what comes next, whether in advance of a transition or as a result of something unexpected.
We explain how we can support you through some specific changes which may happen in your career.
What’s in Career decisions ?
If you’ve just achieved a degree in Medical Physics, you have a wide range of options open to you, from further study to finding a new job. We can help you to make the best choice for you.
Working in academia
Pursuing an academic career after obtaining Medical Physics degree, is a popular option for medical physicists. Some people love the academic freedom it offers, but there are downsides. How do you decide if an academic career is right for you and make a success of it?
Careers outside academia
If you have done a PhD or other academic research and want to consider taking your career in a different direction you have many options to consider. Whether you want to consider using your skills in hospital, or in research centres, we show you how to explore your available career options.
Teaching Medical Physics courses can be a wonderfully rewarding career. We can help you decide whether teaching is right for you, and showcase the many routes into the profession so that you can pick the one that’s best for you.
Becoming a consultant is a great way of making the most of your professional skills and expertise for technical experts later on in their career, but it’s not without its pitfalls. There are several things you need to know.
In today’s employment market increasing numbers of professional people are discovering that their careers are subject to abrupt change, and for many, being made redundant is part of their career journey. Find out how we can support you.
Many people look forward to retirement, others are concerned about it. We show you how to make a successful transition from working to being retired.
There are many reasons to join GSMP. When you become a member, you become a part of the dynamic changes that are transforming our world, by helping to shape the future of cancer treatment and diagnosis. GSMP provides the tools and resources to help get you there, by advancing your career and enriching your knowledge with life-long learning resources.
As a GSMP member, you’ll have access to a vast collection of knowledge and career resources, local and global communities, opportunities to grow and give back to the profession
Membership of the society offers a number of benefits including:
- Professional Status – use of the designatory letters for Members
- Access to GSMP corporate email accounts for professional correspondences.
- Ready access to fellow workers in the field of Medical Physics
- Access to topical information on Medical Physics and the consequent ability to keep up-to-date
- Help, information and guidance on career development, including Continuing Professional Development.
- Peer endorsement of professional competence
- Information about job vacancies and career opportunities
- Opportunity for direct involvement in the society’s scientific meeting
- Members in good standing (Fully paid all outstanding membership dues) stand to benefit from nominations to national & international training courses, workshops & conferences
So if you would like to have access to the most up-to-date and innovative scientific research and news, through an accessible and varied range of resources, become a member of GSMP today!
Our team of qualified physicists offers one-to-one advice and information to help you with every aspect of radiological treatments.
Medical physicists play active roles in healthcare, academia, research and industry. Institutions in Ghana which have employed the services of medical physicists include: